History of the Restoration

historyIn 1917, the Sargent House and grounds were acquired by a group of early preservationists and history enthusiasts.

Within two years the house had been restored under the guidance of restoration architect Joseph Chandler (1864-1945), furnished appropriately, and opened to the public. Today, the Sargent House looks as it might have during Judith Sargent Murray’s lifetime.

The museum features one of the finest small collections of early American furnishings in the region displayed along side textiles, ceramics, portraits, and treasured heirlooms.

Visitors learn about the early history of Gloucester, from its beginnings as a farming and lumbering outpost, to its evolution into the county’s premier seaport. Visitors will also see a collection of original works by the great portrait painter John Singer Sargent (1856-1925) who traces his roots back to Colonial Gloucester.